Pages

Sunday 12 April 2009

Little Bunting - Old Lodge NR

Amazing news broke of a Little Bunting at Old Lodge, trouble was I was in a fishing competition, sitting in a boat at Bewl Water! Brilliant. Luckily the fishing finished at 2.30pm and I was on Ashdown by 3.30pm. There had been no sign of the bird for a couple of hours on arrival so after Paul had eaten all of Ian's chocolate I decided to go and get a fews bits around the rest of the reserve that I needed for the year. With Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus) and Tree Pipit (Anthus trivialis) under my belt we then had to try and refind a Redstart for Garry as he didn't see the first one well enough. At 5.39pm Matt gave me the dreaded call, they had got it again. This led to a Wacky Racers type race from deep in Old Lodge up to the firebeaters! I won, Ian 2nd, Garry 3rd and then two old boys staggered up afterwards!

Needless to say....it had gone by the time we were back up there. More waiting.... Then finally at c6.35pm an odd call from behind us and views in flight signalled that it was indeed the Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla). The bird then perched at the top of a gorse bush and allowed everyone present to connect with this stunning little bird. A fantastic Sussex and Life tick for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment